Thursday, September 8, 2011

One More Day! And a reading list

With about 36 hours left until I leave, I am starting to realize how much left there is to do! In the meantime, I will waste an early morning hour to mention a couple nice books I've read over the summer about Scotland. After multiple library renewals and something like $7 incurred in overdue fees, I finally read:

-Culture Shock! Scotland by Jamie Grant, a look at some customs, lifestyles and general overview of things like politics, food, leisure, and holidays. Here I learned about how friendly the country seems to be, and also about this bizarre creation, the deep-fried Mars bar, with origins in Scottish chip shops (although I have had it recommended by a friend).
-A History of Scotland by Neil Oliver. This intense-looking author and historian writes captivating history and kept me interested from the Creation of the Universe up through Margaret Thatcher. I learned a good deal about Scottish history and am excited to see the historical sites in Stirling especially. I would highly recommend this book, unless you would rather watch Braveheart without recognizing all the historical inaccuracies and botched battles (à la the Battle of Stirling Bridge, without a bridge?).
-In addition, I browsed Fodor's Scotland and a nice coffee-table sized piece titled The Illustrated History of Scotland, which supplements Oliver's history book nicely with pictures of the locations and historical figures.

No amount of reading can prepare me for the real deal, but I am glad I had the opportunity to get involved with the history before I visit Stirling! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment